Marla Bosworth is the founder and owner of Back Porch Soap Company. She teaches classes, corporate events and experiences including candle making, soap making, organic skincare and perfumery.

February 23, 2010

Inside the Heart & Soul of Pangea Organics: Part One

Joshua Onysko and me at Pangea Organics, Boulder, CO

I just returned from Boulder, Colorado where I had the pleasure of interviewing and being inspired by Joshua Onysko, founder of Pangea Organics - the largest handmade cold process soapmaking manufacturer in the U.S. In case you don't already know, Pangea is not your average soapmaking company. It's the leading manufacturer of organic, sustainable, handcrafted and cruelty-free skincare.

What I found most impressive about Joshua (besides being incredibly gracious and having lived in my hometown of Jackson Hole, Wyoming), is what's inside his heart and soul and how he transfers this gift to his company. For example, Pangea Organics gives 5% of its profits to Women for Women International, a program founded to micro-finance women-owned cooperatives in developing countries who are producing ingredients that he uses in his company's products.


By the way, Joshua founded Pangea in 2000 when he was 23. Although it took the first five years to reach profitability, from 2005 to 2010, Pangea will have grown from almost $0 in sales to over $10 million. He is candid in this interview about the low margins on his soaps, especially with sustainable and organic ingredients, marketing and the company's overhead.

In this 20-minute interview (this is part one of two) I ask Joshua questions on how to be a successful bath and body entrepreneur. He also shares insights into Pangea. I hope you find him as engaging and facinating as I do. Check back on Friday, February 26 for Part Two of the interview!



5 comments:

Joan Morais said...

Excellent interview Marla. I have been a fan of Pangea Organics since they began and have told many people about them. I have the same beliefs about skin care products and apply this to my business.

Anonymous said...

Thank you for sharing your own experience, it is very inspiring.

Kristin Fraser Cotte said...

Awesome interview Marla! I share so many of the fundamentals behind his philosophy in my own company. As businesses, we need to educate our consumers thoroughly and as consumers we need to research and be diligent to who we are supporting through the brands we buy.

Unknown said...

Any idea why the HSMG didn't have him speak at the upcoming conference in Denver or arrange a side trip to see the factory? Seems like a no brainer to me? So I'm just sayin...

Linda Driscoll said...

Thank you for extracting this content from Joshua and posting it online for the world to hear! He has SO many amazing things to say!!

Gratefully,

~Linda Driscoll
Pangea Organics Educator

Copyright @ Back Porch Soap Company. Blog Design by KotrynaBassDesign